A couple days ago on 12/7/12, I went to my internship happy hour event. I was looking forward to it as my boss and her friends are all interesting people. I wanted to hear what they had to say and perhaps gain some new perspectives.
Throughout the night, I asked the older folks, “What advice do you have for a graduating 22 year old senior?” These were some of the responses I got. Some are serious while others are not.
- Be humble.
- Continue learning for the rest of your life.
- Don’t be too content with your life, else risk complacency.
- Spend your 20s exploring everything.
- Travel whenever you have the opportunity, including for work. Say ‘yes’ to every job requiring you to go around or out of the country.
- If you’re willing to, indicate that you’re willing to travel >90% of the time for work.
- Go crazy.
- Stay in school. Fail all your classes and go on the 8 year plan. College is too fun.
- Don’t burn bridges. Maintain all your relationships and be friendly to everyone.
- Set very high goals. You’ll be amazed at what you will be able to accomplish.
- Make sure your employers know your language capabilities.
My boss Wendy, founder of JetSet Times at the San Francisco Lush Lounge.
Hearing their highs and lows, troubles and triumphs, accomplishments and defeats made me more anxious but excited to finish school… I wonder where I’ll be one year, three years, five years from now?